…but it’s hard.
So far you’ve broken into my car, had a dead body in the bushes, tried to attack me in the dark walking home, and don’t even get me started on the absurd parking tickets for offenses I haven’t even committed! You see Oakland, I’m trying really hard to find your silver lining, but so far you just keep showing me your ugly side.
But in one final attempt to give you a 100 millionth chance to finally show me why you’re not simply the ugly stepchild of San Francisco, I set out with my camera to find your beauty. Here is what I found…
1. You have a hell of a lot of birds. And I hate birds. But, they are very fun to take photos of…especially when they are no longer just people-friendly, they are entitled, or at least they act like it.
2. There is this little section of Lake Merritt that, when not being used as a bathroom, is actually rather charming.
3. You have a giant theatre sign, but I still have yet to be able to find the theatre. (Not to say that I’ve particularly tried to find it though…ya know, when the choices are forgoing entertainment or getting shot in the dark, I tend to be just fine with twiddling my thumbs at home.)
4. You have a dock. And no way to get to it. Interesting. (Or did someone just steal that part of the wood?)
5. You have trees with incredibly fascinating trunks. (But then again, that might just be a side effect from exposure to pot-laced air.)
6. Assuming no one is getting murdered under it, the gazebo by the lake is a peaceful sight.
7. You have a lot of trash scattered around. But at least it has catchy one-liners on it.
8. You have ONE pretty flower. (No, actually in Oakland’s defense, someone has taken the time to plant a lot of beautiful flowers around the lake. ….And fortunately thus far, no one has had the time to steal them.)
9. And of course no walk through Oakland would be complete without some Occupy Oakland pride.
10. Even if it is a little dangerous at night, I do truly love the Tribune building.
As I’m sure you noticed, I’m currently staying in Oakland. I’m not sure how much longer I’ll be here, but for now it’s home away from home. Do I love it? Um…. But in spite of its less-than-lovely features, does it have some truly beautiful characteristics? Absolutely. And because of that, I’ll keep trying, at least for as long as I’m here, to love it.
P.S. New York Times, I’m guessing you’ve never been to Oakland. Because if you had, I doubt it would end up at the number 5 spot on your 2012 destination list. Just sayin’…